UBER Project Wins 2019 AIA Pittsburgh Award!
Each October, the Design Pittsburgh event features an architectural design exhibition, a juried Design Awards competition, a public voting opportunity for the “People’s Choice Award,” a reception for over 400 members, affiliates, design enthusiasts and guests, a VIP reception honoring the Gold Medal recipient, and a ceremony recognizing winners of the AIA Pittsburgh’s Design Awards. Franjo was recently nominated among some of the best architects and builders in the Pittsburgh area, and was part of a team that won an award for 2019!
Franjo Construction was the lead contractor in the team that built the UBER Advanced Technology Group Pittsburgh office. NEXT Architects was the architectural firm that worked with Franjo to build this office.
The UBER ATG office is located in Lower Lawrenceville. Follow this link to view additional details from the Uber project submission on AIA’s website.
The UBER ATG office won the “Certificate of Merit” in the Large category.
Below are additional specs on who was a part of the project, a brief project description, and jury comments, courtesy of AIA Pittsburgh’s 2019 Award Winners page.
- LARGE: Certificate of Merit
- Client: UBER
- Architecture Firm: NEXT architecture
- Contractor: Franjo Construction
- Engineers: BDA Engineering, Langan Engineering, Brace Engineering, ACA Engineering
- Consultants: LaFace & McGovern, Anderson Interiors
- The intent of UBER ATG’s expansion into The Crucible Building was to provide a cutting edge workplace environment that celebrated the history of the building they occupied and their own connection to the Pittsburgh region.
- JURY COMMENTS: The jury applauds this project for showing that design is a thoughtful process of uncovering the history of place and drawing inspiration from that history. Exposing the existing structure and cranes does this dramatically. Simultaneously, the use of materials for warmth in communal spaces harkens back to the crucible melting pots.
Congratulations to all of AIA’s 2019 competition winners!
Franjo is proud to have been a part of this award-winning project, as well as the TRYP Hotel Project (which also won an AIA 2019 award).